(with, of course, all due respect to mr. e e cummings)

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Setting Up

Hello all-- so I'm still a couple weeks off from leaving for Aleppo, but I thought I'd go ahead and start setting up my blog.  Here's some background information for anyone who's interested:

Want to see other people's beautiful photos of where I'll be?  Take a glance at this page, which is all pictures of Aleppo.  Aleppo's ancient name is Halab, which is usually attributed to Abraham's having given out milk (haleeb) to travelers there.  I thought about making a bad joke for the title of this blog about "milking" my experience for all it's worth.  Aren't you glad I didn't?

I'll be studying (and living) at Aleppo University.  Their site may not be too helpful for you unless you read Arabic...better than I do...but you can see the lovely picture they have on their home page.  Just like AU, actually: a large square beige building.  But our dorms apparently have stunning sunsets, too.

Finally, if you have bunches of time on your hands, you can cast a glance at the site for my program with CET.  More information than you could possibly ever want (unless you're thinking of going there) about academics, life there, and all kinds of goodies.

Well, I've got my visa, haven't studied Arabic anywhere near recently enough, and have started in on my infamous lists and Excel spreadsheets of things to do and pack, so you'll probably hear from me next from...diagonally across the pond!  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Life's not a paragraph.....great name!
    Safe travels - Kim and I will be holding you up in prayer.

    Clark Floyd (aka "The Other Clark")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Elise

    May God bless your journey, and we look forward to reading your blog! Enjoy!

    Love, Becky & Scott & Gray

    ReplyDelete