(with, of course, all due respect to mr. e e cummings)

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Back

So I'm back.

Back in the United States, back in Georgia.

I am glad to see my family.  I am glad for a stove that works, for hot water that runs out of the shower head, for toilets that are clean, for weekends that include Sunday, for being on the same time zone as many more of my friends.  It's a relief not struggling to make myself understood.  It's a relief being able to understand people who aren't going out of their way to speak slowly and use small words.  I had a lovely 21st birthday yesterday in Florida with my family and got the best birthday present possible from my boyfriend.

These things are true.

Other things that are true include that fact that I check the news every morning and curse the fact that the Western media is no better informed now than they were when I was there.  I check the news, panic a little, and then check Facebook, tracking down each of my friends and doing mental math to figure out what time it was in Syria when they posted last.  So far, so good.  Everyone I know and am Facebook friends with is safe but scared.  Some of them are my heroes.  If you want details, ask me in a more private setting.  But I check every day, and I'm scared for them.  There's nothing I can do but pray, which is what they've asked anyway.

I still need time to process everything.  Something will come of this from me, but right now I don't know what it is and can't think straight enough to figure it out just yet.  The important point here is that I am back in Georgia, safe, and will be finishing out some of my credits online.  Please, everybody, whatever it is in you to do for Syria right now, do it.  Pray, think good thoughts, educate yourselves, keep updated, ask me for stories, think about the young man who loves Einstein and da Vinci or the young woman who taught me to roll grape leaves or the one who cared for me when I was sick or the young man who has a secret motorcycle at his house.  I'll try and post photos later.

No comments:

Post a Comment